Friday, October 12, 2007

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS


"They're on a Mission From God"

My friend turned me on to this movie one rainy saturday afternoon. She is of course Irish, and was equally appalled that I had not seen this movie and that I had never even heard of it. Since then I have seen the error of my ways. (lol).
This is up there on my list with THE MATRIX and EQUILIBRIUM for great action that goes hand in hand with a great story. Above all, this movie surprised me, and surprise is a quality in a film that I greatly value.
The story of two brothers, I should say Irish brothers (because it matters in this movie), who take it upon themselves to be God's avenging angels in a time in Boston where crime, violence and sin are perpetrated on the innocent and the guilty without distinction. Alone, they stand between all that is evil and all that is good, and not quite knowing if they themselves are one or the other. If I didn't know better, I would think this was a comic book.
And for all you who are familiar with this movie, the sequel IS coming, just be patient.
Willem Dafoe also delivers a magnificent performance as an FBI agent on the brothers case.
Released in 1999. Starring Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus and Billy Conolly. Directed by Troy Duffy.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Blogroll Me!

No comments: