Thursday, October 11, 2007

SECOND PICK OF THE WEEK


THE CIDER HOUSE RULES:
"A story about how far we must travel to find the place where we belong."

I'm running out of words to describe the great movies that I have seen and want to share. Of all things. I think I might have to invest in a good thesaurus.
THE CIDER HOUSE RULES is a stunning film, shot in Maine it's cinematography is simply breathtaking. This movie has been in my collection from the first week it was out on VHS, almost as long as I've had my copy of HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. (Also a great classic).
It recounts the story of a young orphan (Tobey Maguire) who is raised and tutored by the head doctor (Michael Caine) to become a doctor in his own right and eventually take over the business of running the orphanage he was raised in. However, like all young people, he feels the need to discover some of life's mysteries on his own, and so sets out with a couple (Charlize Theron and Paul Rudd) that were visiting the orphanage, accompanying them back home and to a vital time of trials and realizations that is necessary for all persons who are intent on finding their own path in life. THE CIDER HOUSE RULES is a fresh take on coming of age.
A story of love, grief, and the necessity of experience in the full human spectrum of emotions, this movie is a fantastic viewing experience.
Released in 1999, and a favorite in my collection.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Blogroll Me!

No comments: