Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Natural Classic

THE NATURAL:

"He lived for a dream that wouldn't die."

I frequently find myself looking for a solid sports movie, but apart from interesting ones like Any Given Sunday, I find myself running into dead ends. I mean, do I really want to rent Blood Sport? To be honest, I do enjoy movies like The Gridiron Gang, and Rudy, but options for satisfying sports movies are few and fare between. I rented this movie on a recommendation from someone who's movie taste i trust. I didn't know anything about it, and in the end I think that was the best way to see it; unaware.
This movie was nominated for 4 Oscars, and for good reason. It's an accessible vision of second chance, and what it takes to take the same chance a second time in a lifetime.
Robert Redford plays Roy Hobbs, an up-and-coming baseball pitcher who encounters dramatic barriers in his path to the majors. The movie really revolves around his return to the game that he loves, through many years and countless struggles. Armed with his baseball bat hand carved from a tree that was struck by lighting in his childhood, and an incredible supporting cast, Hobbs is the inspiration and determination of a generation whose dreams never went away made flesh.

Starring Robert Redford, Glenn Close, Kim Basinger, Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker. Directed by Barry Levinson.
For more information go to www.imdb.com

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: