Friday, October 5, 2007

PLEASANTVILLE:

"Nothing Is As Simple As Black And White."

I saw this movie in theatres back in 1998. I must have been about 9 years old, and I didn't have a clue what this movie was about. As far as I was concerned if it wasn't Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I wasn't interested. But knowing me better than I did, my mom took me anyways. It turned out to be one of the best movie experiences of my life, and has been part of my collection ever since.
The movie opens in the modern world, but quickly shifts to a 1950's sitcom when a brother (Toby Maguire) and a sister (Reese Witherspoon) are ripped from their homes and thrust into this black and white world of Pleasantville, where everything is 'perfect'. But what if 'perfect' isn't really best?
That is the question these two teenagers have to ask themselves more frequently as their actions start to have consequences for the town and inhabitants of Pleasantville. Co-starring Joan Allen, William H. Macy, Jeff Daniels and Don Knotts (Oh yeah!), Pleasantville is a great movie, filled with laughs sorrow and everything else one needs when looking for a film that really touches the soul.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Blogroll Me!

No comments: